Foothill Blvb sign

TheFoothillsForum

A forum dedicated to the Foothills communities

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Verizon Landline phoneline, not working, during rain?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:14 pm 

For some reason when ever its raining, our Verizon landline phones are not working. We hear the phone ring once, and then it stops, yet when we pick up the phone someone is on the other line and say the phone was ringing more than once. Now whoever calls says the phone has a busy signal even though no one is on it.
Its very strange.
Anyone else have this issue? We called verizon but they say they'll figure it out by January 9th :/

Post subject: Re: Verizon Landline phoneline, not working, during rain?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:49 pm 

I had that problem for years with Verizon, anytime it rained; the line would die.
After 15 years I fired them and went DSL with my phone.
Verizon's tech told me the line are old, Verizon will not replace them as they want "us" to get their FIOS system and they have no interest in fixing the old lines.
Humidity gets in, squirrels chew them, a mess basically. If you have internet, consider DSL phone service. A local company is great: Phone Power, cost under $ 10.00 all inclusive. As long as you have internet, you'll have a phone and you can keep your home number. Check it out as you will save yourself hundreds of $ per month. http://www.phonepower.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:52 pm 

We also have the same problem.
When it rains the home phone doesn't work.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:19 pm 

I used to have that problem until my neighbor popped open the junction box discovered all the wires had lost their plastic covers so when it rained they got wet (even though the box was painted shut by former owners). neighbor used electrical tape to do a temp fix and that helped. I then called verizon again for the 10 millionth time and then had them come out and told them exactly what was wrong. they did fix it. but very annoying that my neighbor had to diagnose the problem.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:33 pm 

The only problem I've had since I move back to town in 2005 was because the line from the street is anchored to the house inside the rain gutter that fills up with leaves. I got up there and cleaned out the gutter and all is fine now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:43 pm 

having the same problem... phone hasn't been reliable this month. thank God I have a cell phone.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:01 pm 

we have vonage..$33 per month...all calls are free..we call England once or twice a week...so it works for us

and if it is down, it goes to the vonage voice mail..so we never miss a call.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:47 am 

Verizon provide two wires to your house for your landline. There are a hundred places between you & the central office (should be the one by the old K-Mart building) that could get wet when it rains. It could be by your house, in the wiring on the pole, or somewhere underground nearer Foothill Blvd. Leaky storm drains do flood the neighboring right of ways, like those carrying phone cables. Not everyone gets affected as the bigger cables contain grease or are pressurized to keep water out. Usually the problems occur nearer the house where the wires are exposed to the elements (bad workmanship) or have been damaged (birds & firearms) or are simply so old the insulation has failed.

Anyway, the problem is simple. Basically, when it rains, somewhere along the line gets wet and shorts out the wires (or shorts one of the wires to ground). The sun comes out, dries out the line and the phone works again. One of the symptoms of shorting out the wires is that the CO thinks the line is busy and so it gives out a busy tone.

Troubleshooting this isn't as easy as it sounds. If the rain stops or if the sun dries out the line, the problem vanishes. In cold weather, ice & frost cause the same problems but are usually gone by the time someone shows up to find the problem.

I used to do troubleshooting for a different phone company. The problem is that no-one teaches the techs how to do this anymore. If the tech doesn't know how to use a megaohm meter or measure insulation resistance, they can't troubleshoot this.

Save yourself a lot of grief and just fire Verizon and get something like Phonepower for 10 bucks a month.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:21 am 

Try VOIP with Ooma... :D

http://www.ooma.com/

We've had great service and you can't beat the price!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:20 pm 

As I mentioned in my first post, I have had Phonepower for the past 2 years, if you sign up for a whole year at $ 195.99 (or so), you get the second full year FREE OF CHARGE. It boils down to less than $ 10.00/mo, I call Spain & Europe weekly and my long distance bill is on average $ 0.22...can't beat those prices. My Verizon bill was on average $ 75 to $ 100/MONTH ! I am savings tons of money & the quality is excellent AS LONG as Time Warner doesn't screw up the service...which reminds me those rats are coming out today as I'm only getting 7 mgps & not 20 for which I pay over $ 50.00/month....
I'm done complaining for now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:23 pm 

wild bill wrote:
Try VOIP with Ooma... :D

http://www.ooma.com/

We've had great service and you can't beat the price!

Actually you can beat the price. Ooma requires a $200+ outlay for the box (and again every time it breaks). Ooma's premium service ($9.99/mo) is more expensive than PhonePower's 2-year plan ($8.33/mo.) and Ooma's premium service doesn't have all the calling features that PhonePower has as standard. So you can beat the price.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:14 pm 

http://www.phonepower.com for those who are interested. I'm a huge fan and highly recommend their service + they are a So Cal company.... $ stay in the State.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

For those using VOIP, make sure you write you Senator and Congressman to support Net Neutrality. Otherwise, you'll enjoy paying your ISP an extra $20/month to use VOIP over their internet connection.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:30 pm 

thefishlady wrote:
http://www.phonepower.com for those who are interested. I'm a huge fan and highly recommend their service + they are a So Cal company.... $ stay in the State.

Phone power looks pretty good! Wish I'd known about it before we "Ooma'd"...LOL

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:25 pm 

Can you cancel you Oohma thingie ? Honestly, I have zero complaints, you get emails if a message is left, you can block any number and send it to a busy signal, get an out of town number + fax + so many other advantages...I love it and I'm saving a ton of $.

Profile E-mail