Foothill Blvb sign

TheFoothillsForum

A forum dedicated to the Foothills communities

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forest Route 3N29
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:48 pm 

Does anyone know if this truck route/road will ever open to the public? I'm really not really sure if it ever was, but it seems like a nice Truck/Jeep trail that will take you all the way to the top of the mountain.

I've hiked all the way to the top from the south face and from there you can see the road that goes down and comes out there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Forest Route 3N29
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:12 pm 

I believe that U.S. Forest Service would have that information.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:25 am 

aermotor wrote:
Does anyone know if this truck route/road will ever open to the public? I'm really not really sure if it ever was, but it seems like a nice Truck/Jeep trail that will take you all the way to the top of the mountain.

I've hiked all the way to the top from the south face and from there you can see the road that goes down and comes out there.

It's likely still off limits. To the best of my knowledge anything accessed via Big Tujunga Canyon is closed (or at least certain routes are), though I have seen people parked near the second bridge; they were presumably in the canyon because the occupants of the vehicles certainly were no where in sight.

I know there are places in the forest where one can indulge in offroading, but I haven't seen access for vehicles in this area in quite some time. I can't remember the last time I saw an open gate, but then again I'm always on foot so don't pay as much attention to something like that.

Yes, the Forest Service could elaborate on the situation, but I figured I'd at least give some information based on my observations.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:52 am 

I too would like to know when these trails open up again. I remember checking alot of them out back in the 70's when I was a teenager. I can't recall exactly where each one went, but had some fun. The last time I was up in that area was over 5 years ago. and if I recall correctly, the gold canyon route was forest gated. We did however, hike up on the fork to the right, past cabins, following a creek, up to a waterfall and back.

I was hoping these roads would open up again, as last year I bought a plated motorcycle, and wanted to check out the area again. I really want to head up the tall mountain above Sunland and take some pictures of below.

We could ask the forest service, however, they are vague on giving any answers.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:21 am 

There is a ranger station at Vogal flats.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:20 pm 

Hike up to Mt. Lukens. It is the highest peak in L.A. city. One way is from Palms in La Canada its a vehicle trail but is locked, mountain bike people do it. You can access the same trail from ACH. The other way is from BTC, steeper and more of a "game trail". When you get to the top the view is beyond words....lots of radio towers more than you can see from S/T. Look at google earth and you will see the trails.

An easy place to get to and yet does have a nice view is the cross above Mcgroarty. You can get to that from Hillhaven. Easy short hike with a great view.

S/T may not be perfect but we have got it made!!! :)

****ON YOUR HIKES WATCH OUT FOR RATTLESNAKES****The season is here now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:56 am 

You might be able to get a combination to the gate from the ranger. But it seems like once a gate is installed and locked, the lock stays. You really have to get out of LA county in order to be able to explore in a vehicle.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:30 am 

hillsHouse wrote:
You might be able to get a combination to the gate from the ranger. But it seems like once a gate is installed and locked, the lock stays. You really have to get out of LA county in order to be able to explore in a vehicle.

I can't imagine that the Forest Service would give out a combination. That would be madness. For that matter I can't ever recall seeing a combination lock on any gate.

You can for example, drive up to Lukens if you can prove you have business there, but unless you have communications equipment up there you're walking.

L.A. County is by no means utterly devoid of places to offroad. Take a trip up Bouquet and San Francisquito Canyons...you will find many places to go, specifically marked with what types of vehicles are allowed and a general idea of what level of terrain difficulty to expect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:31 pm 

w_bovine wrote:
hillsHouse wrote:

I can't imagine that the Forest Service would give out a combination. That would be madness. For that matter I can't ever recall seeing a combination lock on any gate.

You can for example, drive up to Lukens if you can prove you have business there, but unless you have communications equipment up there you're walking.

L.A. County is by no means utterly devoid of places to offroad. Take a trip up Bouquet and San Francisquito Canyons...you will find many places to go, specifically marked with what types of vehicles are allowed and a general idea of what level of terrain difficulty to expect.

I ride all over San Francisquito, bouquet, lake hughes, sierra, gorman, etc... there were off road roads available in our mountains until the station fire. it would be nice to see them open again. I would like to travel on them and look at the views from above. It's just another piece of California taken away from us. I remember the day you used to be able to play down in the wash. now it's fenced off???? as far as combinations. the forest service DOES give them out on select roads. For instance, the Rincon shortcut between highway 39 and 2 is combination gated. With a pass from the ranger, you get a combination. and the combo's are changed monthly. cars, trucks, atvs, and motorcycles could access. http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Rincon_Shortcut https://fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUME ... 246252.pdf

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:02 am 

Many new gates were installed after the fire, so a lot of the places in ANF are off-limits now. Last time I called for the combination at Rincon they reported that it hasn't been reopened after the fire.

Rohwer Flats OHV area is open, but developments in the rest of the Santa Clarita area have been causing trails to close.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:48 am 

hillsHouse wrote:
Many new gates were installed after the fire, so a lot of the places in ANF are off-limits now. Last time I called for the combination at Rincon they reported that it hasn't been reopened after the fire.

Rohwer Flats OHV area is open, but developments in the rest of the Santa Clarita area have been causing trails to close.

it changes. currently, today, due to road conditions, Rincon is closed to motor vehicles but open to hikers and bicyclists. recently, yes after the fires, it was open to OHV and such. Ranger--> (626) 335-1251

I was telling my buddies that they haven't reopened since the station fire. every time I called it was the same. However, recently an acquaintance stated that they reopened and he was able to get the pass and combo from the rangers and take the route. He also stated that it wasn't the full route between 39 and 2. part of it was closed.

I'm hoping it will reopen to motorcycles again, as it may be a good recovery run to checkout during my knee rehabilitation in Sep. figure an easy fireroad with greats views to ride on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:46 am 

I've had some foot and limited vehicle access on a few of those roads doing volunteer trailwork and trail surveying. Based upon what I know before and after the station fire, a lot of those roads are still in bad shape - some not really passable (read: washed away) even by motorcycle.

But more and more gets open as we move forward.

I think some roads they still intend to work on, and some roads they may opt not to open again if there are sensitive areas they want to recover or where wildlife has taken refuge in light of the loss of habitat.

This is not just a mechanized issue. This would also affect the current and former trails, as the lack of access roads has limited the amount of repair being done on them - some were virtually washed away in the past couple years.

jim

Profile E-mail