Foothill Blvb sign

TheFoothillsForum

A forum dedicated to the Foothills communities

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DWP bill
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:58 am 

I used less water and power and my bill went up. I live alone and my bill was $367.26. I wonder how families are surviving. A family of 4 must be about double of what mine is. When will it stop! What can we do other than paying the bill. We are stuck. I can't conserve any less than I already am. I take short showers, the lawn is almost dead, at night I only leave on a small light. I don't have AC, my applainces are engry efficient

Post subject: Re: DWP bill
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:10 am 

modelAman wrote:
I used less water and power and my bill went up. I live alone and my bill was $367.26. I wonder how families are surviving. A family of 4 must be about double of what mine is. When will it stop! What can we do other than paying the bill. We are stuck. I can't conserve any less than I already am. I take short showers, the lawn is almost dead, at night I only leave on a small light. I don't have AC, my applainces are engry efficient

This is for two month, right? That breaks down to $6.00 a day for water and electricity.

Solar is so expensive that it is out of reach for most people. There is a group called http://www.1bog.org that gets people together who want to purchase solar for their home and buys the solar panels at a 'group rate'. This brings down the cost considerably. THey are getting ready for a group buy right now in L.A.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:05 pm 

We finally got our water bill down to tier 1, which is pretty much only attainable if you live in a condo, which we don't. I find it pretty sleazy that we have been put on water rationing due to the draught and now they want to raise our rates. Maybe tax revenues are down because we're conserving more?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:21 pm 

my first tier is 24 and I am also below my first tier at 22

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:51 pm 

Water early morning, use small tubing and a drip system for plants, reuse your gray water for sure. My water bill is down to less than $ 60.00/2 mo which includes the fish pond.
I use that water for the trees and also set up a pump system to irrigate my plants via a drip system. My trash bill is higher than both water & electrical combined, again I am lucky to be solar.
See how you can tap into the gray water from your bath tubs, sinks, laundry etc - it will save you fortunes down the line.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:57 pm 

good advice, Fish. Also, have them come and check to make sure that your meter is running properly.

It is frustrating to conserve so much and not see the benefits on the bill! :evil:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:08 pm 

Another alternative, depending on how large the property is; is to install a sub-water meter. The price of water is tied into the sewer, they charge less for landscaping as it does not go down the drain. They do not tell you that, not sure what the cost of the sub meter is, worth looking into it. Perhaps my water bill is lower because I am on septic, that is another story as we all know. Curious to see who else on septic has a "reasonable" water bill compared to the sewer homes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:42 pm 

I have a family of five, six if you count the boyfriend but I don't do his laundry and he doesn't take showers here. He does eat and drink water here. Our bill was also around the $360.00 range. We conserve as best we can, no more lawn, but we do have an above ground pool and some new ice plants and other draught tollerant plants. I also have two teenagers. One takes showers daily and the other we hose off a couple of times a week :lol: JK. I would say to check your meter, model A. Find out how they read it and then start taking readings. You may have a water leak.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:35 pm 

modelAman wrote:

If you are still out of work, you might qualify for the low income program. Here's the application. http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp004841.pdf.

And if you haven't already switched to Compact Florescent bulbs, low flow aerators and shower heads, do that. Check the seal on your fridge, and clean the coils on the bottom (or back) of it. Dust accumulates on the coils which makes the fridge run a lot more than it should.

Any second refrigerator especially one sitting in the garage is a huge waste of money. The garage gets way too hot, so a fridge will have to work even harder to keep cool.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:51 pm 

I must be doing something wrong!! My water bill is a lot. I have no leaks and had my meter checked. Used up tier 24. Second tier is 39, plus I have the sewer charge. This is for 2 people. I'm guessing it's my grass and landscaping. I'm on a corner and have 3 sides of grass-marathon sod. I've even taken out large areas of grass in the back and want to put gravel in instead. I do have plenty of grass, though. I try to only run the auto sprinklers one day a week and hand water the rest of the days. I conserve every other way, though. As far as the gray water, how do I save the bath water? I can't lift anything heavy. I can see how I could save the laundry water. I guess I'll have to research this topic once school lets out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:17 pm 

I have a lot of grass too. I cant get to it this year but I am planing on taking most of it out. In the rear I am going Install raised bed gardens. and the front I am going to remove the curb grass and put some plants in and mulch. I figure if I have to pay to water something it might as well be something I can eat.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:26 pm 

Save Water
Shower with a Friend 8)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:53 pm 

You know what really gripes me about this is there isn't enough water for us to have grass, but there is plenty of water for development. Several single family houses can be torn down and replaced with multi-family units and there is water for that. I say those of us who have been here for a long time should have priority over developers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm 

I spent about $2500 8 years ago to buy and install my sod and now with the water rules it looks bad and not worth having anymore. and I agree why are we alowing more houses to be built when our resources are almost depleated

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:47 pm 

Talk to plumbers and see if they can disconnect the gray water pipes under the house and have the water via gravity feed your garden and/or go into a holding tank from which you can pump it to your plants and/or lawn etc, that's what I did. There are 3 of us + 4 dogs + 2 birds + 1 bearded dragon + 55 koi and our total water bill is around $ 60.00/2 mos.

Profile E-mail